Is it Safe to Move Offices in NYC During COVID-19?
August 3, 2020 by CRS Corporate Relocation SystemsCorporate Moving
As New York City eases into the fourth phase of its reopening, businesses, attractions, and other typical city activities are up and running—although it seems that nothing will be normal for quite some time. For companies that were forced to work from home due to COVID-19, some are stuck handling office moves before they can resume operations since many office leases are expiring.
This has brought up several concerns surrounding the safety of moving amid a pandemic and what should or shouldn’t be done while moving. If you are among one of the offices that must relocate or move out, here are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about how to do so safely.
Moving Offices During COVID-19? Here’s What You Need to Know
There’s no doubt that you have questions and concerns regarding moving during COVID-19, especially if you have no other option and can’t put your office move on hold due to your landlord’s orders. The following information will answer some questions you may have.
- Are there any city-wide restrictions on moving? Technically, there are no restrictions on moving in NYC. However, your office building or landlord might have some restrictions on protocols for moving in and out. For example, there may be certain hours during which you can move your belongings, or they might require you to obtain moving insurance.
- Are moving companies still operating? Yes. Moving companies are considered essential services and are allowed to assist you with any help you need during your move.
- How do I hire the right moving company? Make sure you hire moving companies that are following recommendations from the CDC and WHO and are taking extra precautions when it comes to handling your items. The right moving company will ensure that your move is successful and safe.
- What type of mask should I wear to protect myself and others around me? When you’re moving, make certain you always wear a proper face covering. Bandanas, fabric masks, and paper masks are all appropriate if they cover your nose, mouth, and chin.
How to Safely Move in NYC During COVID-19
The outbreak of COVID-19 is already stressful, and learning to cope with the uncertainty, fear, and worry about what’s to come is difficult. Don’t let your move add to your anxieties. Here are some moving safety tips that you should keep in mind.
Hire a Moving Company
Hiring a professional moving company can ease many of your worries. The movers at CRS are taking the pandemic very seriously and have established systems designed to protect employees and customers. These include:
- Social distancing
- Offering virtual consultations
- Cleaning all trucks and equipment
- Wearing masks and gloves
CRS can help make your move simple by handling everything from the initial planning stage all the way to your new location. Thanks to our company-owned trucks, professional movers, pre-replication budget analysis, and protective supplies, you can rest assured that your moving experience will be exceptional.
Avoid Using Recycled Boxes
While it is not common to catch COVID-19 through contact with cardboard, it’s best to avoid using recycled boxes until it is sure that the virus is under control. In March, the New England Journal of Medicine revealed how long the virus remains infectious on certain surfaces:
“The virus is detectable for up to three hours in aerosols, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.”
Based on this, anyone moving should purchase new boxes to pack their items. Try to be precise with how many boxes you’ll need to reduce the amount of times you have to come into contact with others. If you are unsure how many boxes you need, a reputable moving company will be able to provide you with an accurate estimate.
Finish Packing Early
Try to finish packing 24 hours in advance and leave your boxes untouched until it is time to move. This will alleviate some of your troubles and help ensure you and your movers stay safe. Also, before you pack the boxes up, sanitize and clean any of the items you are storing in the boxes so when it comes time to unpack, you can reduce the chance of spreading the virus.
Move Your Office Safely with a Professional Moving Company
The professional moving experts at CRS Moving & Storage are committed to helping you during COVID-19. We’re here to help you get through the stress of moving while effectively maintaining your health. With over 25 years of experience planning corporate relocations, you can trust us to treat your belongings as if they were ours.
Not only will we help ensure your move is fast and trouble-free, but our advanced knowledge of moving and logistics will make certain that the moving process is careful and that our entire staff is equipped with protective gear, sanitization supplies, and deep professional cleaning equipment. We are a respectable and budget-friendly company dedicated to keeping all our clients satisfied. To learn more, schedule a free phone or video consultation or call us at (718) 682-7846.